Our guide to herbal products to help stay hard and have sex for long. Erection health and sexual treatment for men.
As much as men would not like to talk about it, erectile function is a matter which is not only common among adult males but is also one of the least talked about diseases socially.
Men are usually hesitant to discuss this irregularity with their doctors or even with their close ones due to the awkwardness of the topic and sex being an age-long taboo in our society. Due to these reasons, erectile function issues are usually kept under wraps by men and rarely talked about.1
But the fact of the matter is those sexual function problems can be treated if prioritized at the right time and with sufficient seriousness.
Erectile dysfunction can be described as the inability of the male sexual organ to maintain an erection at any point during intercourse and which results in minimized sexual satisfaction and results.
This issue can arise due to various factors such as diseases or any deficiency of hormones inside the body. It is also caused by rampant drug use and sometimes can strike as a side effect from prescription ED medication like a pde5 inhibitor. Sexual dysfunction can also be caused by psychological factors such as depression and a reduced interest in sexual activities.2
Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction
It can be termed as an irregularity rather than a disease because of its origins. The issue is usually accompanied by various factors and lifestyle choices which can either increase the risk of causing or make it more possible over time. Some of the leading causes of ED are listed below to take note of:
- The cumbersome and prolonged dosage of high-power medication and drugs.3
- It can be caused by neurogenic disorders which affect the nervous system of the body and reduce nerve transmissions thus making it hard for a man to experience arousal and maintain sexual energy.4
- Psychological issues such as stress or performance anxiety. Depression and negativity can also be the primary cause of this problem.5
- Any major surgery or medical operation can also be a reason for this issue, as many tissues and hormonal functions can be disturbed during surgery. Kidney failure can also be a cause.6
- Aging is also a big reason, and older men are more likely to suffer from it rather than younger ones.7
- Smoking is also one of the leading causes and has been proven to narrow arteries which reduce blood flow to the sexual organs.8
Therefore, we can see the above-given reasons that erectile dysfunction can be caused by various factors which can be external or internal. Now, it can be treated by multiple options which usually depend on the severity of the disease and what it has been caused by.
Many supplements can increase male libido and improve performance during intercourse. They are usually prescribed by a qualified medical practitioner and should not be consumed without consulting your healthcare provider.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
It is a disease that is always kept under wraps and rarely talked about by men due to pride factors. But this is not suggested at all because the longer you leave this issue unchecked and untreated, the more severe it will become with each passing day. Thus it is necessary to consult your doctor as soon as you feel any problem with your intercourse performance or sexual activity.
It is a widespread problem among men all over the world,9 but most of us don’t reveal this even to the people closest to us. This is because of cultural and societal norms that question a man’s masculinity if he is weak in his sexual activities and cannot have proper intercourse.
To make this issue more mainstream, many activists and medical practitioners are asking men to stand out and pursue a cure for this entirely curable disease. Inability to have a proper erection can also cause a loss of confidence, and self-esteem, and these psychological issues can make the acceptance and diagnosis part of the cure more difficult.
As modern medication techniques become more advanced and efficient, it is no wonder that many medicines can help a man suffering from reduced libido and low sexual energy.
More and more men are opening up about their sexual problems, and this has made doctors identify the different reasons for moderate ED and develop medicines and chemical agents accordingly.10
There Are Many Supplements For ED
These can help a man regain his libido and increase sexual performance. Some of the many treatment options which are hugely popular around the world11 are listed below:
Vigrx Plus is one of the most popular male enhancement supplement and is widely used by men suffering from moderate erectile dysfunction worldwide. It is produced in the form of tablets or pills for oral consumption.
Vigrx Plus is composed of ingredients such as Bioperine, Tribulus, and Damiana which are all proven to increase sexual energy.
Vigrx Plus does this by increasing the flow of blood to the blood vessel supplying the male genitals and thus resulting in a more prolonged erection and intercourse capability. It also increases semen and sperm production and can be very helpful for couples who want to conceive children. Vigrx Plus is a product made from natural ingredients and thus does not cause any adverse side effects making it completely safe for usage.12
- READ MORE: VigRx Plus Review
ExtenZe is also a very popular natural erectile dysfunction supplement and has been proven to help men.
ExtenZe has been on the market for almost 17 years and is available in virtually every medical retail store. It comes in the form of pills as well as in the shape of 2-ounce shots. ExtenZe has been proven to help men in gaining a more prolonged and efficient erection, and though its effects are mostly temporary, it is still highly recommended.
ExtenZe is composed of folic acid, zinc, ginger, black pepper, and various other chemicals that aid in maintaining erections and increase male libido. The physical composition of ExtenZe makes it safe to use for men thus making it a trendy choice among men all over the world.13
- READ MORE: Extenze Review
ProSolution Plus Pills
Another top-rated product worldwide; ProSolution Plus Pills are widely believed to help men in maintaining an erection and avoiding premature ejaculation.
It also comes in the category of natural supplements as all ingredients inside ProSolution Plus Pills are natural and are proven to increase the duration of erection and consequently result in better intercourse.
ProSolution Plus Pills contain 85 ingredients in all, including compounds such as Tribulus Terrestris and Withania Somnifera which are proven to increase penetration duration and avoid premature ejaculation.
It works by increasing nitric oxide levels which increases blood flow to the genital parts resulting in harder erections and extended sexual activity.14
ProSolution doesn’t cause any side effects and is entirely safe to use, making it very popular among men.
- READ MORE: Prosolution Plus Review
Male Extra Pills
Male Extra is also a top-rated product around the world and is one of the most trusted remedies for men. It is an excellent product for increasing sexual activity and promoting penile cell health, resulting in lesser chances of sexual dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
Male Extra Pills are composed of pomegranate,15 L-arginine amino acid, and creatine among others. These elements increase the production of nitric oxide in the body which is responsible for higher blood flow and allows for harder erections.
Male Extra Pills do not cause any significant side effects and therefore are safe to use.
Apart from these, there are many others available on the market for usage. The solutions mentioned above stand out among these various medications because of their active ingredient and safety in usage.
Other drugs are also useful in their way but come with a bunch of side effects and compulsions which can make the issue more severe and cause further problems.
- READ MORE: Male Extra Review
How ED Drugs Work
They are mainly responsible for increasing erection time and avoiding premature ejaculation which results in longer and better sexual intercourse.
They help a man regain confidence which has been lost due to decreased sexual libido and inability to last longer in bed. Blood flow supplements are also beneficial in ED treatment as the primary cause of the disease is reduced blood flow to the genital parts of the male body.
They increase the production of nitric oxide in the body which is responsible for proper blood flow in body parts. As more blood reaches the muscles and tissues in the lower area of the body, you will experience better erections and sexual intercourse than encountered prior.16
Supplements usually have a temporary effect on your body, and thus it is necessary to follow an individual dosage cycle to ensure your body is comfortable.
Overconsumption of these drugs is similarly harmful as they can cause specific side effects and in many cases lead to an excessive and prolonged erection17 which is one of the most prominent side effects of these drugs. Users should also make sure that the supplement they choose is composed of natural ingredients and no harmful chemicals.
Chemically based sexual medicine possesses many side effects that can negatively affect the body. Also, over-dependence on supplements is not advised as the body responds only to those specific drugs after a period.
Precautions And Prevention
Erectile dysfunction is an issue that is caused by external factors as much as it is caused by internal changes in the body. Thus avoiding some harmful practices and taking care of some minute details can help. Some essential elements you should include in your diet are Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Vitamin B3, and Vitamin E.18
Cigarettes contain nicotine which has been proven to narrow blood arteries over a period and thus reduce blood flow inside the body and to the genital parts of the male body which can result in ED. Therefore quitting smoking can help an individual avoid intercourse issues.19
Reduce Body Weight
Bodyweight is also related to sexual performance issues.20 More bodyweight means much more hypertension, and this can cause blood vessels inside the body to dilate imperfectly, resulting in lower blood flow and thus reduced sexual functions. Therefore maintaining a slim and fit body is also a way to avoid issues that can pop up later in life.
Moderation In Alcohol Consumption
Alcohol consumption has proven to reduce sexual activities21 and thus should be indulged in moderately. Alcohol can increase sexual desire to have sex but doesn’t make it last longer or be productive in any way which can help a man.
Avoid Drug Usage
Drugs such as cocaine22 and heroin23 is used extensively and can lower the nervous system functioning in the body which is responsible for healthy sexual activities and intercourse periods. These drugs can be a cause of ED and thus should be avoided altogether as they also cause many other harms inside the body of the person consuming them.
Keep Your Hormones Balanced
Hormonal deficiency is also one of the leading causes of ED24 as these are responsible for producing testosterone. Testosterone level is the primary factor in increasing sexual activities and performance ability, and any deficiency in this hormone can cause severe effects. Over usage of steroids and supplements can cause testosterone production in the body to decrease.
Side Effects Of ED Medication
Any prescription solution may come with a set of side effects that are essential to know before use. These side effects can be minute or very severe.
Natural dietary supplements such as ExtenZe, Male Extra, Vigrx Plus, and ProSolution Plus Pills do not cause any long-term side effects, but that is not the case with everyone. Some of the common side effects of using erectile dysfunction drugs are listed below for you to take note of:
- Headaches and increased anxiety in the user lead to stress.
- Nasal congestion can result in decreased neurogenic activity and thus lesser performance levels.
- A problem with the vision and blurriness of the eyes is a common side effect.25
- Back pain and dizziness are also experienced by users though not at a very high level. In some cases, fainting can also occur due to increased anxiety and stress levels.
- Many drugs can also cause a persistent erection, and it is advised to visit a doctor immediately if the problem stays for an extended time.
Erectile dysfunction is considered a taboo in many societies of the world and men suffering from it are usually forced to keep it under wraps. With the growth of the internet and progress in modern medical practices, it is no longer an impossible task.
There are many websites on the web that can help men to identify ED symptoms and undergo medications to treat them. The issue should not be kept as a secret as it will only grow severe with time and can also lead to damaging psychological changes resulting in depression and low confidence levels.
It is also responsible for the decreased quality of life,26 and its consequences can be very harsh in a relationship. Couples usually avoid talking about it in front of doctors, and this can lead to unseen damage to your relationship and family.
The emotional impact is also very harsh and can cause the patient to lose confidence in themselves and avoid society and culture due to embarrassment. Men need to talk about this issue with their doctor so that they can break down the myths of the disease and suggest a definite cure for your problem.
You should make sure that they choose the product which is composed of erectile dysfunction herbs like Ginkgo Biloba and come with lesser side effects than prescription medication.
Best erection supplements operate inside the body with considerable ease and have little to no side effects associated with them.
Drugs such as Vigrx Plus and ExtenZe are so popular because they are produced using natural ingredients and don’t have any side effects associated with them in any way. This makes their consumption and usage remarkably safe over the long term. These drugs don’t have a miraculous effect though, and it can take a month to observe their effects and changes in your body.
According to one study, one out of every five men in the world suffers from erectile dysfunction.27 Considering such data-driven facts, it is entirely shocking that the society and medical industry keep this issue hidden away from the spotlight and rarely likes to talk about it.
All this has developed this prevalent issue into something like a taboo, and thus those who suffer are afraid and reluctant to talk about it. Men fear that due to the disease, people will consider them less masculine than before and question their overall character.
In the 21st century, these kinds of issues should be understood with a scientific explanation and solved with a medical point of view rather than indulging in myths and rumors based on these diseases. In many parts of the world, it is considered a punishment from God, and the sufferer is scolded and laughed at, thus making him depressed and suicidal.
As technology spreads to more parts of the world and awareness levels rise among people, societies will understand that sexual issues are not limited to any one community or religion but are prevalent all over the world, and the right way to treat them is to be expressive about them. Hiding such diseases and issues due to the fear of backlash from society is something only very primitive people would do.
Therefore we can conclude by pointing out that erectile dysfunction is a relatively common disease in men and which can be caused by various factors. It can be caused due to lifestyle factors such as high blood pressure and vitamin D deficiency as well as due to any internal deficiency or irregularity in the body such as hormonal deficiency.
ED is entirely curable, and many products can provide immediate relief and assure maximum satisfaction during intercourse. The best supplements usually contain natural ingredients and have little to no side effects associated with them.
Supplements are advised to be used rather than the chemically developed prescription drug which is full of harmful chemicals and toxins.28
These synthetic drugs might have a higher rate of working and may provide much better comfort than the natural ones, but they also have compounds that are very harmful to the human body and can be a cause of many other diseases with prolonged usage.
Thus choosing a natural supplement is the best choice you will ever make to increase your sexual activities and to live your life to the fullest.
- Gore-Gorszewska G. “Why not ask the doctor?” Barriers in help-seeking for sexual problems among older adults in Poland. Int J Public Health. 2020;65(8):1507-1515. doi:10.1007/s00038-020-01472-6
- McCabe MP, Sharlip ID, Atalla E, et al. Definitions of Sexual Dysfunctions in Women and Men: A Consensus Statement From the Fourth International Consultation on Sexual Medicine 2015. J Sex Med. 2016;13(2):135-143. doi:10.1016/j.jsxm.2015.12.019
- Razdan S, Greer AB, Patel A, Alameddine M, Jue JS, Ramasamy R. Effect of prescription medications on erectile dysfunction. Postgrad Med J. 2018;94(1109):171-178. doi:10.1136/postgradmedj-2017-135233
- Thomas C, Konstantinidis C. Neurogenic Erectile Dysfunction. Where Do We Stand?. Medicines (Basel). 2021;8(1):3. Published 2021 Jan 7. doi:10.3390/medicines8010003
- Latini DM, Penson DF, Colwell HH, et al. Psychological impact of erectile dysfunction: validation of a new health related quality of life measure for patients with erectile dysfunction. J Urol. 2002;168(5):2086-2091. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000034365.57110.b7
- Palmer BF. Sexual dysfunction in men and women with chronic kidney disease and end-stage kidney disease. Adv Ren Replace Ther. 2003;10(1):48-60. doi:10.1053/jarr.2003.50003
- Aversa, Antonio, et al. “Endothelial dysfunction and erectile dysfunction in the aging man.” International Journal of Urology 17.1 (2010): 38-47.
- Kovac JR, Labbate C, Ramasamy R, Tang D, Lipshultz LI. Effects of cigarette smoking on erectile dysfunction. Andrologia. 2015;47(10):1087-1092. doi:10.1111/and.12393
- MCKINLAY, JB. “The worldwide prevalence and epidemiology of erectile dysfunction. Discussion.” International journal of impotence research 12 (2000): S6-S11.
- Krzastek SC, Bopp J, Smith RP, Kovac JR. Recent advances in the understanding and management of erectile dysfunction. F1000Res. 2019;8:F1000 Faculty Rev-102. Published 2019 Jan 25. doi:10.12688/f1000research.16576.1
- Balasubramanian, Adithya, et al. “An analysis of popular online erectile dysfunction supplements.” The journal of sexual medicine 16.6 (2019): 843-852.
- Shah GR, Chaudhari MV, Patankar SB, Pensalwar SV, Sabale VP, Sonawane NA. Evaluation of a multi-herb supplement for erectile dysfunction: a randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012;12:155. Published 2012 Sep 15. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-12-155
- Finley Sr, Reginald V., and David Terry. “A critical review of ExtenZe: Male Enhancement Product.” (2011).
- Iuvone T, Esposito G, Capasso F, Izzo AA. Induction of nitric oxide synthase expression by Withania somnifera in macrophages. Life Sci. 2003;72(14):1617-1625. doi:10.1016/s0024-3205(02)02472-4
- Forest CP, Padma-Nathan H, Liker HR. Efficacy and safety of pomegranate juice on improvement of erectile dysfunction in male patients with mild to moderate erectile dysfunction: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. Int J Impot Res. 2007;19(6):564-567. doi:10.1038/sj.ijir.3901570
- Burnett, Arthur L. “The role of nitric oxide in erectile dysfunction: implications for medical therapy.” The Journal of Clinical Hypertension 8 (2006): 53-62.
- Linet, Otto I., and Francis G. Ogrinc. “Efficacy and safety of intracavernosal alprostadil in men with erectile dysfunction.” New England Journal of Medicine 334.14 (1996): 873-877.
- Sorenson, Marc, and William B. Grant. “Does vitamin D deficiency contribute to erectile dysfunction?.” Dermato-endocrinology 4.2 (2012): 128.
- Kovac JR, Labbate C, Ramasamy R, Tang D, Lipshultz LI. Effects of cigarette smoking on erectile dysfunction. Andrologia. 2015;47(10):1087-1092. doi:10.1111/and.12393
- Skrypnik, Damian, Paweł Bogdański, and Katarzyna Musialik. “Obesity–significant risk factor for erectile dysfunction in men.” Polski Merkuriusz Lekarski: Organ Polskiego Towarzystwa Lekarskiego 36.212 (2014): 137-141.
- Wang, Xiao-Ming, et al. “Alcohol intake and risk of erectile dysfunction: A dose–response meta-analysis of observational studies.” International journal of impotence research 30.6 (2018): 342-351.
- Sánchez-Hervás, Emilio. “Cocaine and Sexual Dysfunction.” Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education, vol. 62, no. 2, Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education (JADE), 2018, pp. 7–12, https://www.jstor.org/stable/48511448.
- Chen, Wen, et al. “Erectile dysfunction among male heroin addicts receiving methadone maintenance treatment in Guangdong, China.” Journal of Addiction Medicine 6.3 (2012): 212-218.
- Sansone A, Romanelli F, Gianfrilli D, Lenzi A. Endocrine evaluation of erectile dysfunction. Endocrine. 2014;46(3):423-430. doi:10.1007/s12020-014-0254-6
- Ausó, Eva, Violeta Gómez-Vicente, and Gema Esquiva. “Visual side effects linked to sildenafil consumption: an update.” Biomedicines 9.3 (2021): 291.
- Litwin, Mark S., Robert J. Nied, and Nasreen Dhanani. “Health‐related quality of life in men with erectile dysfunction.” Journal of general internal medicine 13.3 (1998): 159-166.
- Colson, M-H., and G. Roussey. “Screening and managing erectile dysfunction in diabetic patients.” Sexologies 22.1 (2013): e1-e8.
- Wentzell, Emily, and Jorge Salmerón. “You’ll “Get Viagraed:” Mexican men’s preference for alternative erectile dysfunction treatment.” Social Science & Medicine 68.10 (2009): 1759-1765.
Shahrokh Shariat, MDProf. Shariat has published over 1400 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals. In 2014 he received the Matula Award from the European Society of Urology (EAU), in 2017 the Gold Cystoscope Award from the American Society of Urology, probably the most important urologist award worldwide.
Erectile Dysfunction And High Blood Pressure: How Can Heart Health Cause ED?
How Can Heart Health Cause ED? What Is The Link Between Hypertension And Sexual Conditions Like Impotence And Erection Problems…
Is Erectile Dysfunction Psychological? Impotence Causes Sexual Anxiety
Impotence Causes Sexual Anxiety In Men Which Can Be Mental, Stress And Performance Problems. Overcome Conditions With Erection Induced Sexual…
Erectile Dysfunction Exercises: Kegel Pelvic Floor Muscles For Sexual Health
Best Kegel Exercises To Help Improve Pelvic Floor Muscles Fitness And Physical Erection Strength. Natural Cure For Premature Ejaculation
Diabetes And Erectile Dysfunction: Type 1 And Sexual Health
I Am A Type 1 Diabetic. Can It Cause Sexual Dysfunction In Men? Is There A Connection? What Is The…
Erectile Dysfunction: Impotence (ED) Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
Impotence (ED) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment And Diseases Conditions For Erection Problems. Mens Sexual Health And Medical Urology Clinic Services For…